Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Jugaad

One fine Sunday morning, I was reading an excellent article in THE DIPLOMAT , an Asia-Pacific current affairs site, about the Indian mentality of "JUGAAD" which is nothing but the Hindi word for making do when one needs something in a situation , or to use a more fashionable word "Innovation" . It mentioned that this deeply ingrained quality in the Indian blood is mostly responsible for taking the Indian to places where lot of people from other places/countries fear to tread . Why !! there are even jokes about a Mallu/ Indian(variations abound)  welcoming Neil Amstrong on the moon with strong tea !! Fellow had opened a tea shop there as well !!
All of it meaning to say that, give an Indian a troublesome situation and he will find a way out of it, may not be a pretty or a long term solution, but will be some sort of a solution all the same . I found an involuntary smile beginning to form on my lips . I forgot all about the article, after some thought of whether it was so much in our blood as the article mentioned .
Then , what happened , one might ask , to inspire this blog ? Well , one day while getting ready for work,I was in a hurry  the spray nozzle of my perfume bottle came off and and as spray nozzles of perfume bottles are wont to do, slipped off my hand and merrily rolled off and fell out of the open window !! Now , the almost full bottle was crying out to be used but couldn’t !!
The Indian brain which comfortably resides in the penthouse of my not-so-tall body ,kicked into action and immediately spied my husband’s empty perfume bottle which was due to be consigned to the dustbin . It had the spray nozzle allright !! So, I simply took it off that empty bottle and fixed it on mine and ta da !!!! my perfume bottle was fully functional again . Immediately the word "JUGAAD" sprang to mind . Now I understood what the authors of that article meant .
It is not a big thing I know , but I was amazed by the speed with which the Indian mind looks for solutions . It is deeply ingrained in our psyche allright . Therefore it is not surprising that the entire world is now looking to India for solutions for practically everything , be it technology or medicine . All we need to do is deliver .

No comments:

Post a Comment